St. Matthew's School
119 Cowan Avenue, St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada, A1E 4W4
Phone: (709)745-1513 Fax: (709)745-3618
Welcome to St. Matthew’s School Web Site
You will find here links to the school district and the department of education which will allow you to be better informed on the umbrella policies that govern our school. You will also find current information on school events, important dates and even school council contact information.
Please accept our best wishes for a successful school year as we all Strive for Excellence.
Yours in education,
Sharon Vivian – Principal Charmayne Rumbolt - Assistant Principal
Daily School Schedule
08:10 - School doors open
08:30 - Classes begin
10:30 - Recess begins
10:45 - Recess ends
11:45 - Lunch
12:35 - Classes resume
02:35 - Dismissal
Last Week of School at St. Matthew's for 2018-2019
Wow! It is the last week of school for the 2018-19 school year!
We want to thank all of our families for their support in the education of your children. We wish our Grade 7's all the best as they move on to Beaconsfield Junior High in September! They will always be St. Matthew's Tigers!
We had an exciting event last Thursday when St. John's Growlers star Adam Pardy visited our school with Buddy the Puffin to launch Buddy's Summer Reading Program! We hope that you will continue to encourage your child to read over the summer. We will be sending out information about this reading program later this week.
Congratulations to our Grades 6 and 7 students who trained and ran in the Shoppers Drug Mart Run for Women this morning at Quidi Vidi! Thanks to Madame Culleton for leading this group and to all the staff coaches who trained with the students.
Important things to know about this week:
- There will be no Breakfast Club or School Lunch Program this week. Students are expected to bring along recess snacks and a packed lunch.
- There are field trips going on this week. Please ensure your child has signed consent or he/she will not be able to attend.
- We have some NASCAR presentations here on Tuesday for Grades 4-7! Thanks to Ms. Sheppard for arranging these presentations for us.
- Our Grade 7 School Leaving Ceremony will take place on Wed. June 26 at 10:30 pm. We look forward to this special celebration of their time here at St. Matthew's.
- Thursday will be our last day for students. We will be dismissing at 12:30 pm so it is important that there be someone here to pick up your child.
- Last Thursday we sent home a memo and email regarding Summer Garden Help so is you are able to help, please send back the form and Ms. Ryan will add you to the calendar for garden care.
- School will reopen on Friday, Sept. 6th at 8:30 am for Grades 1-7 and 9:30 am for Kindergarten.
We hope that you and your family have a safe and happy summer and we will see you on Sept. 6th!
Memo from District re Waterford Valley High System
Please read this important memo from the School District regarding a review of the Waterford Valley High feeder systems. Our School Council and families will have the opportunity to provide input to the district in the fall.