St. Matthew's School
119 Cowan Avenue, St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada, A1E 4W4
Phone: (709)745-1513 Fax: (709)745-3618
Welcome to St. Matthew’s School Web Site
You will find here links to the school district and the department of education which will allow you to be better informed on the umbrella policies that govern our school. You will also find current information on school events, important dates and even school council contact information.
Please accept our best wishes for a successful school year as we all Strive for Excellence.
Yours in education,
Sharon Vivian – Principal Charmayne Rumbolt - Assistant Principal
Daily School Schedule
08:10 - School doors open
08:30 - Classes begin
10:30 - Recess begins
10:45 - Recess ends
11:45 - Lunch
12:35 - Classes resume
02:35 - Dismissal
IMPORTANT MESSAGE from the
School Lunch Association
Message received from the School Lunch Association regarding the inability to provide lunches on the first few days when school reopens:
Please be advised that due to the current state of emergencies in place, within several of our municipalities, our food suppliers are not able to deliver food to the cafeterias. As well many sites have a large amount of unusable food on-site due to prolonged power outages. To give us time to assess the food safety of product at each site, and in turn receive the shipments of food needed to cover items on the menu we would like to inform you that we will be unable to provide service at your school until a time in which we can ensure a safe, and or fresh food supply to your site. Each day that passes in these unusual circumstances will delay the restart process as you can understand, businesses are not running as per normal.
We at School Lunch Association will be in communications with and work closely with each school to ensure we get back up and running as soon as we are able. We are asking in turn if you could notify your parents once schools reopen if they could provide a packed lunch in the interim 48 hours to allow us to resume normal operations.
As you can see, we are asking families to please provide packed lunches for your child upon the opening of school next week. We will communicate further information once the SLA is able to assess the food situation at our school. We apologize for this inconvenience however I am sure you can understand given our current State of Emergency.
January 22, 2020
The NLESD Late French Immersion parent information session scheduled for this Thursday, January 23rd, at 7:00 pm, at the District Conference Centre, St. John’s has been postponed.
A new date will be confirmed in the near future.
January 21, 2020
We have just heard that all Metro schools will remain closed for the remainder of the week. It is our hope that school will reopen on Monday, Jan. 27. This is certainly a storm to remember and I hope that you are enjoying some family time in the midst of this snow clean up.
Next week will be my last week as principal before retiring on Friday, Jan. 31 so I hope to say my good byes to you throughout the week.
Please take care, be safe and we will see you on Monday.
January 21, 2020
Due to ongoing clean-up efforts following last week's blizzard, please be advised that all schools in the St. John’s Metro region will remain closed for the remainder of the week (Jan. 22-24, inclusive).
January 21, 2020
As a result of no school on Tuesday, January 21, there will be no Participation Nation activities going ahead this week for students in Grades 4-7. We will provide an update on this once we return to school. Our apologies for any inconvenience. This is truly a storm to remember.
Please stay safe and warm.
January 20, 2020
- No school on Tuesday, January 21 due to conditions related to the storm
- Wednesday, January 22 will be Day 4 in our school schedule
January 19, 2020
- No school on Monday, January 20 due to conditions related to the storm
- Tuesday, January 21 will be Day 3 in our school schedule
This week at St. Matthew's
Good Day Families,
Hopefully you are safe and now dug out from this record breaking storm! Certainly one to remember. As mentioned in the media, there will be no school for students tomorrow, Monday, Jan. 20 due to conditions related to the storm. With all this additional snow we ask you to have patience navigating around our parking lot. With large snowfalls we lose valuable parking spaces due to snow clearing. We continue to ask you to park only in designated spaces so that vehicles can move safely around the parking lot. We also ask you to pay very close attention to pedestrians.
With all this beautiful snow, we also ask that your children come prepared for outside play. This means coats, snowpants, boots, hats, mitts so that they can enjoy it on days when the windchill is -10 and higher.
Here is some information relating to this week at St. Matthew’s:
- Recycling was scheduled for tomorrow however we have had to postpone it again. We hope to arrange a day later this week once we can set one up with Evergreen Recycling. We will communicate this date when confirmed.
- Tuesday, Jan. 21 will be Day 3
- On Thursday, Jan. 23 there will be an information meeting for Grade 6 parents/guardians regarding the Grade 7 Late French Immersion program. This meeting will take place at District Conference Centre on Strawberry Marsh Road at 7 pm. We have had this program at our school since 2011. Information regarding this program went home on Thursday, Jan. 16.
- On Friday, Jan. 24 we will be having our January Silly Squad - Hawaiian Day. We ask students to bring along some spare change for World Wildlife Fund - Australian Wildlife and Nature Recovery. Let’s help the animals affected by these devastating fires.
- On Monday, Jan. 27 there will be no school for Kindergarten students due to Kinderstart.
- Please look out for a memo going home next week about Literacy Week Jan. 27-31.
Have a great week!