St. Matthew's School
119 Cowan Avenue, St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada, A1E 4W4
Phone: (709)745-1513 Fax: (709)745-3618
Welcome to St. Matthew’s School Web Site
You will find here links to the school district and the department of education which will allow you to be better informed on the umbrella policies that govern our school. You will also find current information on school events, important dates and even school council contact information.
Please accept our best wishes for a successful school year as we all Strive for Excellence.
Yours in education,
Sharon Vivian – Principal Charmayne Rumbolt - Assistant Principal
Daily School Schedule
08:10 - School doors open
08:30 - Classes begin
10:30 - Recess begins
10:45 - Recess ends
11:45 - Lunch
12:35 - Classes resume
02:35 - Dismissal
December 5, 2019
- Please look in your child's book bag for a newsletter that went home today. You can view the newsletter online here.
This week at St. Matthew's
Thank you to the many families who have offered to help out within our school community this Christmas. We are overwhelmed by your generosity!
- Our Term 1 report cards went home on Friday. If your child was absent, the report will go home on Monday. Please make sure that you use the OPTIS system to schedule an appointment for Thursday to discuss your child’s report. The OPTIS system is open. Please click on this link to schedule your appointment.
- School will dismiss at 11:15 am on Thursday, Dec. 5 to allow for parent teacher conferences. Please ensure that there is someone here to pick up your child promptly at 11:15 am.
- Our Book Fair begins tomorrow with each class scheduled for a one hour time block throughout the week. If a parent/guardian wants to accompany a child for their Book Fair visit, please come to the office and check in before heading upstairs to the Learning Commons. Click here to see the Class schedule.
- Thanks to Ms. Sheppard for organizing our Book Fair and to the many parents/guardians who will be assisting her. Profits from this fair go right back into purchasing books for our Learning Commons.
- School Lunch ordering for January will open on Wednesday, Dec. 4 and close on Tuesday, Dec. 10.
- There will be no school for Kindergarten students on Monday, Dec. 9th due to Kinderstart.
- Please show patience in the parking lot and be particularly mindful of pedestrians when the weather is poor. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.
- Congratulations to:
- our Robotics Team who placed 3rd in the Core Values section of the First Lego League Robotics Competition last Saturday. They represented St. Matthew’s in fine style as the only K-7 school in the competition! Bravo! Thanks to Mr. Barry, Mr. Spratt and Ms. Ryan for their coaching.
- our Grade 7 Girls Volleyball team on their excellent team work performance in their first tournament last weekend at Brookside Intermediate! Thanks to Mr. Jackman for coaching the girls!
- our Glee Club who performed so beautifully at the St. John’s Port Authority Tree Lighting last Tuesday. Thanks to Ms. Fleming and Ms. Conway Ward for directing and accompanying the students. They were highlighted on the NTV news that evening. See picture below.
That’s all for this week! We are still welcoming hats and mitts for our mitten tree and look out for a memo coming home this week regarding our Showers with Smiles leadership initiative.
Have a great week!
View School Lists for the 2019 -2020 school year
Mon. Dec. 2 - Fri. Dec. 6
- Scholastic Book Fair
Wednesday, December 4
- School Lunch ordering for January opens
Thursday, December 5
- Parent-Teacher conferences
- Students dismissed at 11:15
Monday, December 9
- Kinderstart session
- No school for Kindergarten students
- School Council Meeting @ 6 pm
Tuesday, December 10
- School Lunch ordering for January closes
Thursday, December 12
- Christmas Concert @ 7 pm.
Friday, December 13
- Kindergarten Breakfast with Santa
- Silly Squad - Red/Green/Antlers/Santa Hats
Friday, December 20
- Last day of classes before Christmas Break
- Christmas Assembly at 11:15, parents welcome
- Dismissal at 12:30 p.m.
Monday, January 6
- School reopens
- Day 6 in the school cycle