St. Matthew's School
119 Cowan Avenue, St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada, A1E 4W4
Phone: (709)745-1513 Fax: (709)745-3618
Welcome to St. Matthew’s School Web Site
You will find here links to the school district and the department of education which will allow you to be better informed on the umbrella policies that govern our school. You will also find current information on school events, important dates and even school council contact information.
Please accept our best wishes for a successful school year as we all Strive for Excellence.
Yours in education,
Sharon Vivian – Principal Charmayne Rumbolt - Assistant Principal
Daily School Schedule
08:10 - School doors open
08:30 - Classes begin
10:30 - Recess begins
10:45 - Recess ends
11:45 - Lunch
12:35 - Classes resume
02:35 - Dismissal
This week at St. Matthew's
November 18 -22
- There will be no school for students on Monday, Nov. 18 due to teacher professional learning.
- Friday, Nov. 22 we will be having a Rainbow Silly Squad Day. We invite our students to wear a rainbow of colours to celebrate our diversity! You are welcome to send along some spare change in support of TransNL.
- With the cold weather upon us, please ensure that your child is dressed warmly for outside play including mitts, hats, boots and snow pants if necessary.
- You will notice our Mitten Tree set up in our main entrance area. We welcome donations of new hats, mitts and gloves for those in need.
- Retake School Photos will be sent home next week so please ensure that you check your child’s backpack.
- Our Glee Club will be performing at the St. John’s Port Authority Tree Lighting ceremony on Tuesday, Nov. 26. If your child is in Glee, please ensure the permission is returned by Wed. Nov. 20.
- First term reports will be going home on Friday, Nov. 29. Parent Teacher conferences will take place on Thursday, Dec. 5. School will close at 11:15 am on Dec. 5 to accommodate these meetings. Watch out in the coming week for a memo regarding the process for booking your appointment on the OPTIS system. Link to OPTIS System
- Another reminder that parents/guardians are only permitted to drop off students in the area where staff are assisting each morning from 8:10-8:30 am. No drop off is permitted in any other area of our parking lot. Vehicles are not permitted to pull up in front of the cross walk to await an adult who walked inside with a child. If you wish to walk your child into the school, please park your car in a designated parking space. This is a safety issue and we expect all parents/guardians to comply. Please inform family/friends who may occasionally drop off your child in the morning. Thanks so much for your cooperation in this matter.
- Our Christmas Concert will feature our Grades 1 and 2 students. This will take place on Thursday, Dec. 12 at 7 pm. Further details will come to families from classroom teachers by the end of the month.
View School Lists for the 2019 -2020 school year
Friday, November 22
- Rainbow Silly Squad Day
Monday, November 25
- Recycling Day
Friday, November 29
Mon. Dec. 2 - Fri. Dec. 6
- Scholastic Book Fair
Thursday, December 5
- Parent-Teacher conferences
- School closes at 11:15
Thursday, December 12
- Christmas Concert @ 7 pm.