St. Matthew's School
119 Cowan Avenue, St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada, A1E 4W4
Phone: (709)745-1513 Fax: (709)745-3618
Welcome to St. Matthew’s School Web Site
You will find here links to the school district and the department of education which will allow you to be better informed on the umbrella policies that govern our school. You will also find current information on school events, important dates and even school council contact information.
Please accept our best wishes for a successful school year as we all Strive for Excellence.
Yours in education,
Sharon Vivian – Principal Charmayne Rumbolt - Assistant Principal
Daily School Schedule
08:10 - School doors open
08:30 - Classes begin
10:30 - Recess begins
10:45 - Recess ends
11:45 - Lunch
12:35 - Classes resume
02:35 - Dismissal
This week at St. Matthew's
September 16 - 20
Thanks to all the parents/guardians who came out on Thursday evening to meet your child's teacher and learn about his/her routines, curriculum and expectations for the year. We had a wonderful turn out!
Here are some of the things you should know about this week at St. Matthew's:
- Monday is our first Recycling Day so we encourage you to bring along your beverage recyclables and leave them on the grass near the building, along the walkway into the front entrance. Each child who brings along recyclables is welcome to fill out a recycling ticket for chances to win prizes throughout the year. Let's do our part to help the Earth and our School!
- Our Breakfast program "Matt's Morning Munch" opens Monday at 8 am. Students are asked to wait in the entrance porch until that time. All students are welcome! Breakfast is closed at 8:25 am so that students and staff can get to class on time. More information to come about our Kids Eat Smart Walk to School and how families can help our Breakfast Program.
- Unfortunately our Terry Fox walk scheduled for Friday, Sept. 20 has had to be rescheduled. We are going ahead with our Silly Squad on Friday so wear your jerseys on Friday and we encourage our students to bring along some spare change for the Terry Fox Foundation! We will communicate our new date for the Terry Fox Walk once it has been confirmed.
- You may have noticed that Ms. Rumbolt has been out on the parking lot assisting students by opening car doors and allowing our traffic to flow smoother. We welcome volunteers who could assist staff with this task. We cannot guarantee that a staff member can be out each morning but we are doing our best to assist in this manner. Please let Ms. Rumbolt know if you are interested in this volunteer work once a week from 8:10-8:30 am. Further information will be coming regarding how to use the drop off lane.
- Parkside Community Centre offers a Homework Club on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2:30-5:00 pm. Students are welcome to join this club and get some assistance with their homework.
- School Photos will be taken on Tuesday, Sept. 24
Have a great week!
Participation Nation Registration
The Participation Nation Activities for fall session are:
Tuesday: Softball/Baseball at Cowan Park
Wednesday: Rotary Park Outdoor Activities (travel by bus to Rotary Park)
Thursday: Hiking (Various trails around the City, transportation to sites provided)
Registration takes place on Wed., Sept. 11 from 6:00-6:30 pm. These activities are for Grades 4-7 students only.
School Lunch Association
Envelopes / Orders are due on Wednesday, September 11. The School Lunch Association does not accept late orders
September 10, 2019
School Lunch annual registration and ordering for Sept. and October closes tomorrow, Sept. 11. This is a hard deadline so please ensure you register or order online or return the paper copies. Please note that registration must be paid in order to utilize the School Lunch program. Some people have been returning the paper registration form without payment. If you have any questions about this program, please contact the School Lunch Association at 753-5323.
We look forward to seeing you on Thursday evening for curriculum night. Parents/Guardians can proceed to the classrooms for presentations. 7:00 pm for K-3, 7:30 for Grades 4-7. Grade 7's will present in our new Learning Commons (Room 217).
ALL students will need to bring along a snack and lunch for the first few weeks of school. Our School Lunch program will start on Sept. 25 so until that time all students will need to bring snack and lunch from home. School Lunch Registration forms will go home Friday, September 6, as well as ordering envelopes. Parents/Guardians can complete the registration online https://schoollunch.ca/ or use the print version sent home. Ordering can be completed through the website or through the order envelope. It is very important that families register so that orders will be accepted.
Your child will be bringing home several forms for completion. Please send them back as soon as possible so that we have current student information in case of emergency. Our school newsletter will keep you up to date about school policies and upcoming events.
Please be patient during arrival and dismissal. The parking lot will be busy in the morning and at dismissal so ensure you park in a designated space and be mindful of pedestrians in the parking lot. Safety first.
View School Lists for the 2019 -2020 school year
Monday, Sept. 16
- Recycling Day
- Breakfast Club begins
Friday, Sept. 20
- Silly Squad - Jerseys for Terry Fox Foundation
Tuesday, Sept. 24
- Picture Day
Wednesday, Sept. 25
- School Lunch service begins
Thursday, Sept. 26
- School- wide Terry Fox Walk
Wednesday, Oct. 2
- Kids Eat Smart Walk to School